If you are over forty, you probably make it a point to see your doctor regularly for breast or prostate cancer screenings. Yet most people don’t make a point to see their dentist for regular dental checkups. This oversight can be a costly mistake to your good health. Oral cancer screenings are just as important as other cancer screenings and are a routine part of a regular dental examination. Often, there is no pain associated with oral cancer development, therefore it can progress without detection if you avoid seeing the dentist. The good news is that oral cancer can be effectively treated if it is caught early enough. Don’t let a fear of dental care keep you from getting the oral cancer screening you need. Make an appointment with Dr. Giamberardino today. Dr. Giamberardino and his team proudly serve patients in Medford, MA, Winchester, Somerville, Malden, Everett, and surrounding communities.
You May Be At High Risk for Oral Cancer If:
- You use any tobacco or alcohol products.
- You have an HPV Infection (infection with the sexually transmitted human papillomavirus has been linked to 80% of oral cancer cases)
- You are over the age of 40.
- You enjoy a lot of sun exposure (cancer of the lips can be caused by sun exposure)
- You have a poor diet (diets low in nutrients may play a role in oral cancer development)
Oral Cancer Symptoms:
- A sore, irritation, lump or thick patch in your mouth, lip, or throat
- A white or red patch inside the mouth
- A constant feeling that something is caught in your throat
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing normally
- Difficulty moving your jaw or tongue
- Numbness in any area of your mouth
- Swelling of the jaw that causes dentures to become uncomfortable
- Pain in one ear without hearing loss
Oral Cancer Screenings in Medford, MA
Life is unpredictable. While we may not be able to prevent some health issues from occurring, we can certainly do all we can to catch them at the earliest stages for treatment. Oral cancer can be treated successfully. Possible courses of treatment may include chemotherapy and surgery. Make an appointment with Dr. Giamberardino today for better care, a better experience and a better treatment outcome. Dr. Giamberardino and his team proudly serve patients in Medford, MA, Winchester, Somerville, Malden, Everett, and surrounding areas.
See how Dr. Giamberardino is helping to raise awareness for oral cancer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GvmTT8X0AE